Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

I spent the day planning a special dinner.  Unfortunately, the power went out around 5pm, so instead of sitting down to an elegant meal, I made sandwiches.  Then Mark and I spent the evening playing Scrabble by candlelight.  This morning I baked the dessert I had planned for our Valentine's Day meal.  Mark asked me to make him heart shaped chocolate chip cookies because those are his favorite.




I used a heart shaped cookie cutter for a mold.

I also made almond roca cookies using the same technique.  It's a recipe I got from my mom.  She always made these to put in the Christmas baskets she made for her friends around the holidays.

Here's the recipe:  1 c. butter, 1/2 c. white sugar, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1 egg yolk, 1 1/2 c. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Melt 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate.  Spread on top and garnish with sliced almonds.

1 comment:

  1. yum! looks delicious. and it sounds like you had a romantic (candlelight!!!) valentine's day. :-) i owe you an email - soon, i promise.

    ReplyDelete